While other exercises come and go, the good old burpee is a move that proves itself effective time and time again. Burpees are incredibly effective as a cardio move, and also as a total body strengthening move. With so many variations it’s also hard to get bored of burpees. Here are 5 awesome moves from beginners to advanced designed to challenge your agility and exhaust your body:
PUSH UP JACK BURPEE
This is a great variation to get your circulation pumping hard and torso tightened. As with all burpees, the quicker you do it, and higher your jump, the harder it is.
- You are basically performing standard burpee but when you’re in plank position, lower into a push up and jump your feet outwards away from each other, like a jumping jack.
- Jump your feet back together, then back into your hands and come up to standing.
- When standing, perform a jumping jack, or a plyometricjack if you want a challenge.
- Lower back to the ground and continue into another burpee.
These are a killer. To make them even tougher add a box on each side to jump your feet onto.
- Lower into a squat position, placing your hands in front of your feet.
- Shoot your feet out diagonally to the right so you balance on your hands and feet and can feel your obliques engage.
- Next, jump your feet back under your body so you’re back in a low squat.
- Jump straight up, pushing hard with your feet and raising your hands over your head.
- Repeat, this time shooting your legs out to the left.
BOX JUMP BURPEE
This is a plyometric exercise which makes for a pretty powerful move.
- Stand in front of a step or box, far enough away so you can’t hit your head on the box!
- Swing your arms back and propel yourself forward and up onto the platform, landing both feet simultaneously.
- Jump back down, with soft knees, into a squat position. Continue to move towards the floor and thrust feet back so you’re in a push up position.
- Immediately return to squat position and continue into another box jump.
Make sure you’ve warmed your hips up before this move!
- Start with a standard burpee, dropping down into plank position.
- Next jump your right foot right up beside your hands, then jump your right foot back while simultaneously jumping the left foot up beside your hands.
- Repeat once more on each side before jumping back into push-up plank position and completing the burpee with a jump.
- For an extra challenge, add a push-up in the middle.
DUMBELL PRESS BURPEES
If you thought those burpees weren’t tough enough, try adding in dumbbells! This is a tough exercise for the shoulders, chest and legs, only for the very brave.
- Place a pair of dumbbells on the floor in front of you.
- As you go down, hold onto the dumbbells as you do a push-up.
- Jump back in with your feet landing outside your arms.
- As you come up, raise the dumbbells to your shoulders, then instead of doing a jump, thrust the dumbbells up into the air.
- Repeat into another burpee.
I have always loved burpees and never thought of doing variations before. I will be trying all these out.