By Kath Webb
We reckon strong, toned arms give the best hugs. So here’s a simple arm workout that gets maximum benefit in just minutes a week. Just in time for those cosy autumn nights in...
Cable machine biceps curl
This cable machine exercise has constant resistance throughout the movement. Also, the variety of motion uses more muscle fibres, in other words – stronger muscles.
- Stand in front of the machine and grab the bar-handle with an underhand grip. Bend your knees slightly.
- Curl the weights up as you breathe out until your biceps are fully contracted. Only move the forearms. Hold and squeeze for a few seconds for a bigger biceps boost.
- Slowly release, breathing in. Repeat.
This is one of the most powerful exercises you can do for the triceps.
It uses the cable machine again so can be done straight after the bicep curls.
This video guide should help you get started.
- Attach a short bar to a high pulley.
- Grasp the handle with palms facing down. Back straight, abs in.
- Keeping elbows at your side, push the handle down towards your thighs.
- Hold for a moment, then release and repeat.
Bar-bell curl and press
Fantastic yet simple to perform exercise which works both the biceps and front deltoids.
Using more muscle mass means you burn more calories.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms forward and thumbs pointing away from your body.
- Bend your elbows and bring the dumbbells to shoulder level. Turn your wrists to face palms away from the body.
- Push the dumbbells up over your head, then lower back to shoulders.
- Rotate wrists again so palms face your body.
- Lower the weights back to starting position. Rest and repeat.
Which gym equipment works best for your arms? Let us know in the comments section.