It goes without saying that pancake day is one of the most delicious days of the year. It roots back to the Roman times where ‘Shrove Tuesday’ was the last opportunity to use up eggs, milk and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast. And what do you get when you throw these ingredients together? Yup, pancakes!
The pancake recipe has remained largely unchanged since the 16th century. However, google is still swamped with various pancake recipes with everyone trying to add their own twist and flavours to make them more appealing to various diets.
Here are the ‘top pancake recipes’ with recommendations for making the three different types: Protein, vegan and traditional to help make life workout in the kitchen.
Recipe 1: THE PROTEIN PANCAKE (Please see recipe and method here)
The great thing about this recipe is that it only requires 4 main ingredients: Protein powder, eggs, almond milk and baking powder. And only takes 10 minutes!
Before you start mixing the ingredients together, make sure you have the right equipment. Having a spoon for a whisk and a cereal bowl for a mixing bowl is not exactly in Mary Berry’s cook books. And you won’t be in her good books either.
Recommendations for Recipe 1…
· Use a flavoured protein powder (Vanilla Quest/Coconut) to avoid the bland taste
· 1 scoop is ½ a cup
· Add vegetable oil or coconut oil to the pan beforehand
· Reduce ‘the eggy taste’ by using only the egg white instead of the yolk
· Increase moisture by adding more milk and less protein powder
· Add more flavour to the batter - choc chips, 2 teaspoons of oat fibre/cinnamon
· Serving options – can try berries or NUTELLA!
This is perfect for anyone who wants to increase their protein intake while enjoying a delicious treat.
Rating = 7 ½ out of 10
Recipe 2: THE VEGAN PANCAKE (Please see recipe and method here)
Veganism is gradually on the rise as more people are discovering the benefits of living a vegan lifestyle. And with this recipe you can see why!
Ingredients to be mixed together: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and dairy-free milk.
Recommendations for Recipe 2…
· If you want a thinner batter – half the amount of flour/add more milk
· Add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to make them fluffy
· Add NUTELLA on top (You can’t go wrong with Nutella, right?)
· 1 friend to help clean up
Rating = 9 ½ out of 10
Recipe 3: THE TRADITIONAL PANCAKE! (Please see recipe and method here)
Last one! Ingredients to be mixed together: flour, eggs, milk, sunflower oil and salt.
Recommendations for Recipe 3…
· Adjust the moisture content by adding more flour/pouring less milk
· Add cinnamon to reduce the flavour of the eggs
· Add vanilla essence to enhance the other flavours
· Anyone calorie conscious can use water instead of milk
· M&S have a popular gin & tonic sauce to try?
· And lastly… NUTELLA! (Nutella makes anything taste amazing)
Rating = 6 ½ out of 10
In summary, how about trying one of these pancake recipes to suit your tastes?
Until 5th March… Happy Pancake Day!
My advice - Nutella makes any pancake delicious so just add that and you'll enjoy whichever you eat.
but which one is easiest to remove when the 'toss' is too high and it sticks to the ceiling?
Not sure I'd fancy a pancake made with baking powder instead of eggs.....but I shall pass the recipe onto my vegan brother anyway
Pancake = eggs as far as I'm concerned! Much as the writer loves nutella, I'll pass on that as I find it horribly sweet. My kid loves it though so we'll find a use for the jar.
I must admit as much as I'd like to try the vegan pancake I think on pancake day I'm going to stick to the regular kind. I will save healthier versions for a normal day!