By Laura Briggs
An apple a day keeps the doctor away and nuts are well known to pack a real protein punch, with heaps of nutrients and essential oils. In celebration of National Apple Day and National Nut Day, we’ve compiled some yummy healthy recipes using, you guessed it, apples and nuts!
A baked apple is a real treat on a cold autumn evening, so this simple recipe is a great healthy pudding for those chilly nights. Serves 6
1. Core the apples, and then arrange them so they are standing upright in a baking tin.
2. Mix the sultanas with the cinnamon and push the mixture down into the core of each of the apples.
3. Drizzle the honey over the apples and then sprinkle the nuts on top – they should stick to the honey!
4. Bake in the oven at 200C/180C fan/ gas 6, for around 20 minutes.
Enjoy on their own, or if you’re feeling naughty with a dollop of cream or ice-cream. Yum!
1. Grease and line a 20x27cm baking tray and pre-heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, Gas Mark 6.
2. Slice the apples and pour the lemon juice over them. Leave them to one side.
3. In a bowl beat together the flour, eggs, sugar, butter, lemon zest, almond extract, ground almonds, baking powder and milk, until smooth.
4. Spread half the mixture in the cake tin and then add the apples on top, leaving out the lemon juice.
5. Tip the remaining mixture on top – the apples may well poke out the top, but this doesn’t matter. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and the Demerara sugar.
Bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes.
If you fancy an alternative to baking these recipes, then you can still enjoy apples or nuts as a delicious snack on their own. Both are a great way to store up your energy levels after a workout, or during a gym session. So stock up, and start getting nutty about nuts, and well..... apple-y, over apples!
try roasting nuts with honey and cayenne. not quite as healthy as the above but bloody gorgeous!
One of my favourite combos - there's nothing better after a workout, although I don't usually bake them I might try next time.
I've always given my kids a snack of apples and nuts in a bowl. Nice to know it's such a good combo.
Payasugym reads my mind - I have a glut of eating apples to use up. Perfect!