Do you remember your first love? Perhaps he/she was a bit wild, unpredictable, crazy even, you never knew what they were going to do next. It was exciting but exhausting and couldn't last forever so you settled down with someone safer, cleaner and a whole lot more sensible.
That’s how I feel about cycling.
I started off mountain biking and now mostly ride my road bike but can’t quite stop thinking about my first love.
1. Mountain bikers are a friendly bunch, maybe it's because they’re not wearing tight Lycra, or maybe because there are lots of sub-disciplines – cross country, trail, downhill and jump – that they are accepting and always keen to show a newbie their local Single-Track.
2. Mountain biking is accessible, you can just wear cargo shorts, T-shirt and trainers and there are lots of good entry level bikes. £300 will get you a trail-worthy aluminium MTB with front suspension.
3. Mountain bikes can go anywhere, you can get yourself properly lost whilst exploring trails through the woods far for from the town or city – it’s a great way to escape modern life for an hour or two.
4. Mountain biking is a full body workout, legs obviously but upper body too as you wrestle with the handlebars, pump the font wheel over bumps and wrestle with tree roots, fly over rocks.
5. Mountain bikes are technological marvels, not only do they take a thrashing time and time again, if you want you can immerse yourself in a world of full suspension, different wheel sizes, hydraulic disc brakes and dropper seat posts – road bikes seem so last century by comparison.
6. Mountain bikers make great bike handlers on trail and road. Once you’ve hammered a trail littered with rocks, gullies and tree roots and stayed upright you’ll find wet drain covers or having to stop quickly a cinch.
7. Lastly, why do I really love Mountain Biking? Because it can scare the hell out of you! Carving a path through the trees on narrow roller coaster like single track gets the adrenaline pumping like nothing else. Like skiing a black run at top speed. You get the idea.
I think I know why it’s so tempting to look up your first love on Facebook.
Yes, probably riding in the mountains you have some feeling of freedom. when in childhood I went far away to cycle somewhere, and then came home and my mother swore. Now I would hardly go riding in the mountains, although the bike https://bikesist.com it allows, but I'm scared already.
Mountain biking makes you feel like a kid again. it's particularly fun when you get covered in mud.
Can I just say - I do mountain biking with a few friends and it's the most bonding thing we've ever done. We stop at a local pub on the way back and I can't think of a way I'd rather spend a day.
I've always loved road biking but never made the jump to mountains - I love the feel of the open road but the quieter, more natural mountainside could be great too. I'm definitely tempted!