Bodybuilding is quite the feat. It’s not a part time hobby or something to dip in and out of. All professional body builders will know that embarking on this journey takes dedication, hard work, commitment, and huge sacrifice.
The word bodybuilding is pretty ambiguous. By definition, it means the process of building muscle. Which lots of us try and do in the gym. But in application, it refers to the competitive, bulk and cut, full time job type of bodybuilding.
Either way, lifting the weights it takes to body build takes both physical strength and mental strength.
Sometimes, we need a bit of motivation. A pep talk. Some encouraging words. So, even though it’s cheesy and even though it can can trigger an eye roll, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes can be just the thing we need to spark determination and push ourselves further in training.
Often holding pearls of wisdom and advice to train by, these quotes can be the key to success. So forget their cheesy nature. Write them on the mirror. Engrave them on a water bottle. Say them on entering the gym.
1. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to conquer. – Arnold Schwarzenegger, 7-time Mr Olympia
We’ve got to start with Arnie. Hailed for the being the best bodybuilder of all time, if The Terminator trains by these words, then we probably should too. His words cement the belief that we work to improve, not the stay the same. Better get that progressive overload building.
2. Don’t be scared to LIFT HEAVY! You won’t get huge and bulky, you’ll just get amazing. – Jessie Hilgenberg IFBB Figure Pro
Something that women who workout often need to hear, Jessie reminds us that lifting heavy is not just for the boys. Bodybuilding is about a lot more than just looks. Lift to gain confidence. Lift to feel strong. Life to feel amazing.
3. Forget failure. Forget Mistakes. Forget Everything, except what you’re going to do now. And do it. – Lou Ferrigno, 2-time Mr Universe
A title like Mr Universe immediately gives you the right to give motivational quotes. This one has an important lesson in to regarding dwelling on the past and just focusing on the present. A message that you won’t just hear in relation to bodybuilding, but lots of lessons for life.
4. Winners do what they fear. – Franco Columbu, 2-time Mr Olympia.
In a similar vein to ‘nothing great happens in your comfort zone’, this quote is a gentle nudge to challenge ourselves to do things that scare us. Not to be taken too literally, it’s a reminder that bravery can often lead to success.
5. Victory isn’t defined by wins and losses, it’s defined by effort. – Kai Greene, IFBB Professional Bodybuilder.
A simple and straightforward message that solidifies the fact that to achieve great things, we need to work hard. The effort you apply to your work in the gym will always be rewarded.
6. If you have discipline, drive, determination, nothing is impossible. – Dana Linn Bailey, First Ever Women’s Physique Olympia Champion.
Reeling off the three D’s, these words describe characteristics that are integral to being a successful bodybuilder. Discipline to keep to the gruelling structure and regime. Drive to keep motivated and keep going over long periods of time. Determination to push further and keep trying everyday.
7. If you want something you’ve never had before, you have to be willing to do something you’ve never done before. – Phil Heath, 4-time Mr Olympia.
The 4 time Mr Olympia uses this quote to highlight something obvious, but important. Changing our behaviour, doing something different, and stepping it up are all required for bodybuilding. A physical change to your body won’t come from working out in the same way you always have.
8. The real workout starts when you want to stop. – Ronnie Coleman, 8-time Mr Olympia.
What’s better than a 4 time Mr Olympia? An 8 time Mr Olympia. Reminding us that bodybuilding isn’t just a physical feat, it’s a mental one too. It might be our head that tells us we want to stop before our body does.
9. Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of yours. – Flex Lewis, 3-time Olympia 212 Champion.
Whilst we hope you have nobody like this in your life, there’s an important message about self confidence in this quote. Self belief and self determination are the most powerful tools for success. Nobody can give those to you and nobody can take them away either.
10. Wake up determined. Go to bed satisfied. – Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, 10-time WWF/E Champion
Finishing off with a classic quote from all time bodybuilding legend, The Rock. This quote lets us know that strength, fitness, and building muscle requires daily commitment. It doesn’t happen over night, over a week, or even over a month. It’s a lifestyle that needs long term and continual work in order to see the benefits.
So, if these quotes have given you the good dose of motivation you wanted in order to get in the gym and get training, then let’s Hussle. One pass. Multiple gyms. Workout whenever you want.